Sunday, February 19, 2012

February 19

It's been a long time between posts - my tag line should read 'sometimes several months attack me at once'!  Sunday morning with my coffee, Skype-ing with friends  travelling in Arizona & checking in with others.  Another gloomy February day -- I am surely ready for the gray to be gone and trying hard to recall the hot weather of Palm Desert.

I've been deep undercover these last few weeks finding it near impossible to connect with the outside world.  Contrary to what many people think, I am really quite a reclusive person - not in an anti-social, withdrawn or lonely way or an unapproachable way (at least I hope not).  But I'm a homebody and I find the longer I live with cancer the less I can deal with certain things.  A friend asked me recently if I found living with cancer every day a burden.  It seemed to me that 'burden' is the perfect word for how I cope - it is a burden for me.  I would love to be one of those people who has bucket lists, who can live outside their bodies, who can see the 'gift' of cancer (that one is so beyond me).  I would love to want to hang out and go out and stay out past 6-7 pm.  I would love to be physically and mentally energized to meet each day.  Those are among the many the guilt trips I go on each day - that I should be all those things and more, that I should stop indulging myself in this lifestyle and get out there and do something.  Way too many should's.  And I do a number of things - they're just more solitary in nature.  The truth of the matter is after the past 6 1/2 years of metastatic cancer , and nearly 20 years from my first diagnosis, I'm bone weary.  Add to that mix  living with chronic depression for 40+ years.  There are days when I'm not sure what incapacitates me more.  Why I'm disclosing all this I'm not entirely sure - possibly because I've been saying no to so many people in my life lately and thought an explanation might be in order.  I'm thinking that my current anti-depressants are pooping out on me (my technical term!) and am changing over to one I haven't taken before.  That along with a little sunshine and longer days and I'm hoping against hope this combination will straighten me out and I will find my days less challenging and less overwhelming.

On the cancer front things are in limbo again.  Going off my chemo for a month didn't turn out to be such a good idea - huge jump in my tumour markers.  I'm now off the oral chemo and back on a hormone blocker - Exemestane - for awhile until we can figure out where the activity is.  Also off my monthly treatment for the bone mets.  Had a bone scan which looked stable and now awaiting results on a CT scan.  Depending on those results I may have to start IV chemo which I find pretty devastating.  Except of course if the Exemestane brings the markers down substantially.  For now I'll hurry up and wait until March 21st to see what the next installment of my life will bring.  

Even reading my fellow bloggers updates has been overwhelming for me lately and so today I'm going to try and catch up on one or two.  Then directly to my new favorite thing - my recliner! - to watch some more Upstairs Downstairs.  

So while this isn't the most uplifting post I've ever written it is an honest one.

Rest easy Shawna

8 comments:

  1. Sending you love! Hope we can meet up when I come back in Mar/Apr for a visit. the ocean was so calm today, not a ripple...if I imagined it and squinted enough I swear I could see the tip of France. :)
    Dev
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accepting your love Dev - thanks and sending some right back to you. Irene just told me today that you'll be home for a bit in the next while and I would love a visit. Imagining I'm standing next to you watching the ocean, feeling the calm and in my visual - hearing the waves roar & crash.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. You are "SIMPLY AMAZING" and I love you always!! Cass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your love and support hold me on even my most difficult days - I love you my dearest friend. Thank you always

      Delete
  3. Marlene, Even though as cousins, we have been separated by many miles and years, I can truly understand when they say we are all connected by an invisible thread. Please know that you have long distance family that loves and cares how you are feeling physically and emotionally. Your pain feels like our pain and our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Love
    Cousin Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear cousin - your words touch my heart in a way you can't imagine so thank you so much for lifting my spirit today.
      Love
      Cousin Marlene
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Marlene - I know exactly what you are saying, and I applaud you for being so open and honest about how you are feeling physically, mentally and emotionally. It is indeed "burdensome" to feel that we always need to keep our chin up, put on a smiley face, and live every minute with joy. That is not the reality of our situation. Do what you need to do for YOU, and forget about what anyone else thinks!

    Am I sounding bitter?????

    Gentle hugs to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Audrey - so appreciate your encouraging words as always. Our reality certainly isn't based on how we look on the outside but how we 'look' on the inside. In my writing class I wrote a piece about how my happy genes have gone missing... and I still can't find them.

      Just a little bitter my friend... but I'm right there with you. Hoping to catch up on your blog/reality today.

      Gentle hugs right back to you.
      xoxo

      Delete