Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Gift to Me

I used to be a great Christmas shopper, loving to buy things I wanted others to have - I could always find the funny, the odd, the weird and sometimes what people wanted but not always! I loved the evenings wrapping gifts with a glass of wine and my cat trying to undo what I was doing and chomping on the ribbon. Wrapping bottles in socks, money given in rolls of coin, small gift = large box and my favorite - wrapping itty-bitty stocking treats individually! Over the years as 'my kids' get older shopping has became about what they might need not necessarily what I think they should have. So we've gone from plastic tool belts & dumptrucks and dolls & games & glittery makeup to fundamentals - excellent for them - not as much fun for me. Mind you there are traditions I just cannot break and those gift will go on for eternity!!

One of my traditions over the last several years is a 'Gift Card' from World Vision. Over the years our family has given the gifts of mosqito nets, roosters & hens, cozy blankets, textbooks, wood-burning stoves and fruit trees among others. These are life-changing gifts for other less fortunate children and/or communities and a beautiful thought to hold on Christmas morning amid the laughter, the gift opening and the sheer joy of being with your family.
http://www.worldvision.ca/

So the gift to myself this year is John Paul Tuyizere from Rwanda - my latest World Vision sponsored child. Look at that face and those eyes - how could I not bring him into my heart? He's 6 years old and within the next two weeks he will learn from WV that he will be able to attend school and get medical attention until he's 18 years old - a life changing situation for him and for me as I get his updates and watch this little boy grow up.

Today's post is reading like a World Vision promotion but it's not - it's just something I do and feel like somehow I am making a change in this world of ours however small.

Stay well my friends

No comments:

Post a Comment