Sunday, April 17, 2011

Snap

Lots of things snap - turtles snap, rice krispies snap, suspenders snap, mousetraps snap, you snap your fingers, elastic definitely snaps but me... I never snap. Until this last Thursday. Maybe I was just ornery that day in general but after waiting one hour for the urologist I left. I like to think that I'm a relatively patient person but being a good patient isn't always the easiest job.

C'mon - 60 minutes to anticipate something I really don't want to hear! I understand doctors get behind, I understand that sometime the patient just needs more attention - lord knows I've been there - but how about a little communication. My 10:30 appointment started off well enough - right on schedule they led me to the consultation room, where I sat waiting for 30 minutes with just a large poster of the urinary tract system on the wall for my reading pleasure. Fair enough I guess, he is a urologist after all but how much do I really want to know. Then Dr. oh-my-gawd-you're-just-a-manchild comes in, opens my file and says 'didn't you just have a CT? - yes I replied - 2 weeks ago. At now 11:05 he says well it's not in the file so I'll just go print it off the computer - be right back. Right back turns into another 10 minutes and he pops his head in the doorway - I'm still studying the layout of a male's urinary tract - and says won't be long now. THEN he proceeds to in the next consultation room with another patient. I am now provoked into action - how long is 'won't be long'? I'm no longer in the mood to find out since it's now 11:30 and I've missed my coffee date and could probably draw a urinary tract from memory. So I'm done - I'm gone.

The end of the story you think?? Not so. When I get home there's a message from Dr. Man-child left @ 1:15 pm - is that how long 'won't be long' is? I've calmed down somewhat so I call him back - like he asked. Now another 10 minutes trying to connect with a human voice but no I can't talk to him. Can I leave a message? 'She' replies - he'll probably call you back later - he usually does. No really I'd like to leave a message. 'She' replies - if I see him I'll tell him you called.

And now it's Sunday and guess what - haven't talked to him yet. Maybe Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment