Thursday, October 13, 2011

Easy-Peasy

Yesterday was time for my monthly pamidronate treatment and I think I may have appeared just a little smug when I waltzed into the treatment room. After our good mornings Nurse T. said 'well let's get that arm warmed up' and I, after puffing out my chest a bit replied ' I don't need to today - I got myself a portacath!' - like a child who wants to show off their new toy!! That's wonderful she says (visualize mutual hug) your life will be so much easier! And it was and it will be. With that I sat down in my recliner and watched as she swabbed the area and inserted the special needle needed for ports - with just a mild pricking sensation. That was it - 2 minutes max. It used to be anywhere from 10-20 minutes, 2-3 hot towels and then up to as many as 5 tries to get a vein. After pumping in some saline in to make sure all is well I settle in for my 60-minute treatment.. all the while making sure that I wave my arms about at every possible opportunity - because I could!

Patti Port-a-cath - my new best friend! She sits just under the skin of my left breastbone, seems to be relatively easy to get along with and while she does jut out a bit you'll all just have to learn to appreciate how she looks!! Cuz I'm already attached to her!

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I love it! And I can absolutely relate to it! I also puff out my chest each time they ask if I need a hotpack, and proudly tell them that I no longer need that! The port does indeed speed things up exponentially, and I have grown rather fond of my jut-out. I like to think of it as my third breast - small, but functional!

    Have a great weekend Marlene. I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the analogy - small but functional! An extra 1/2 hour each treatment day that now belongs to me! I forgot to mention the high-5's I received from other nurses who've had to deal with me - a fun day at the clinic.. a rare occasion!
    Thanks Audrey - you enjoy your weekend as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! If you really want to impress them, the next time you go in, tell them that you have an "IVAD." (pronounced Eye-Vad) They LOVE it when you speak their language!

    ReplyDelete