Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My Painting Experience...

Well I did it... I went, I painted and I had fun. Well for the most part anyway. Anxiety over the whole weekend almost paralysed me starting with the border using my Nexus pass for the first time - irrationally fearing that I would say something that would end in my getting schackled and thrown out of the US forever... but the nice fella said - Is it just you in the vehicle (duh!!), I said yup (probably said Yes Sir) and he said 'have a good day' - easy-peasy. Now to find my chosen B & B in Capital Hill. Where?? I've only ever stayed in downtown Seattle but my in a moment of bravery I said to myself if I'm going to be brave let's jump in with both feet - never been on a painting workshop (cuz I'm not a 'painter') and never stayed in a B&B. The Shafer Baillie Mansion was magnificent - amazingly restored in every detail, in a neighborhood of other old and beautiful homes on streets lined with colossal towering trees unfolding the exquisite colors of fall. Having said that, I think I'm more of a 'hotel' kinda gal although if I was travelling with someone else I may feel different - not totally discounting staying in a B&B again.

The Painting Experience was .... well quite an experience!! Fortunately I've had much Callanish 'training' in the areas of deep breathing, staying in the moment and acknowleding my inner critic!! This workshop embraces the idea of exploring your personal experience by putting brush to paper - without judgement, without right or wrong, and without any commentary from other participants. A practice I find very liberating. To peel the layers of your own onion so to speak. Although I didn't know it when I started out Friday night, the next 2 days were spent creating and putting color to the heavy load of sadness I've been carrying this last few months. And it was cathartic.. and not without a little humour I might add!! I learned a lot about the 'act' of painting and may now be inclined to break out my paint & brushes at home - and no... you can't see my work!

Trying to get back to to where I was staying was a nightmare - I got lost all three days. First night I ended up out at the Seattle Port on Hwy 99 - felt like I was almost in Olympia - that night it took just over an hour to find my way back. Saturday night in the pouring pounding rain I ended up in the University area - where to my delight there was a football game happening with more roadblocks, cars, people and police than I have ever see in one place. Saturday night get-back time was 1 hour and 45 minute - including 5 minutes on the side of a street having a meltdown. Sunday I had a plan - if I couldn't find my way the first time - and I didn't - the plan was to go right into downtown and get on I-5 North and find the right exit from the freeway - which I did and spent only a brief 40 minutes getting back to where I started. Not bad considering Fremont is only 15 minutes from where I was staying. Perhaps a GPS is in order....
Anyway after a mini-shop at Nordstrom's I headed home. My angst at crossing the border - this time with purchases over the limit - started to close in... OMG ... handed the gal my declaration slip and she says 'Have a nice day' - perhaps I should paint thru my paranoia!! Home safe, sound and very very tired.. feet up today - that's my plan - no GPS required.
Stay well everyone.
Rest easy Diane.

1 comment:

  1. You are my hero Marlene!! Painting classes and in Seattle yet????All the things we have on our bucket lists....I'm taking piano lessons,and to quote you,NO you can't hear me play(not yet anyway) It's about us isn't it and waht we need to do??
    XOXO
    Susan

    ReplyDelete